Wednesday, February 12, 2014

From Out of the Darkness Cometh the Light

On Sunday, our speakers went overtime, plus we had a special musical number (which was awesome). With only 4 minutes left in the meeting, Bishop decided to post-pone the last speaker and say a few words himself instead. He said he felt impressed that day to invite us to tap into the power of the Priesthood that we have available to all of us, men and women a like. He said he felt that there were people in the audience that needed Priesthood blessings, and that we shouldn't hesitate to ask for them. I thought it was kind of cool, in fact, I could easily think of a few people who could use a priesthood blessing right then. I might have nudged my roommate while Bishop was speaking, and she had the nerve of acting like she was above it all. "What?!" she asked. What?! She knew what, but I didn't want to be pushy or make her angry, so I decided to pretend like it was a joke. (She's going to read this and probably be mad, anyways. Haha)
The next day I found said roommate balling in the bathroom because she was having the worse migraine yet. Are you ready for a blessing now? I thought. I felt so bad for her and just wanted to help, but there's only so much I or anyone (including herself) can do for her. Sometimes you have to just turn it all over to God. Which she did. 
The cool thing is that maybe there was more purpose in her horrible headache that day, then just receiving her own priesthood blessing. I think that us inviting our wonderful home teachers over that night was an answer to our other, very shy roommate Bridgett's prayers as well. She has been struggling with depression and was able to take advantage of the situation and ask for a blessing too. After they left, she said thank you and said that the blessing had things in it that she had needed to hear.
Even I got a blessing that evening, since it seemed like the thing to do. I feel like I have had a lot of those lately, but I am learning that that's not necessarily a bad thing. We don't have to be on our death bed before we finally suck it up and ask for a blessing, which is the way we tend to think most of the time. Each time I get a blessing, I feel God's love and awareness for me as well as receive comfort and instruction as to what I should be doing at that point in my life. Why deny yourself that?
I am so grateful for the priesthood and I am so grateful for the men who keep themselves clean so that they are ready to give blessings in a moments notice. I am grateful for God's plan and how He uses us as His hands here on Earth to bless the lives of others. It's a complicated system, and I don't know how God makes everything come together like He does. I just know that I can trust in Him and know that there is purpose in every event in our lives.

I want to know how many people asked for blessings after Bishop's words on Sunday. I bet it was a lot. I hope everyone in the ward had similar experiences because it blesses all the people involved.



No comments:

Post a Comment