Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ask for a Blessing

Some days don't go how you planned. Some days you wake up feeling extra sick and so you don't get to work out like you had wanted. Then you discover that the water in your apartment has been shut off, so you don't get to take a shower before work. Then you still feel sick so instead of running errands after work, you go straight home and vege on the couch NOT eating because food has become your enemy. Then you go to a ward BBQ, not to eat but to meet people because that's your calling, and even though you are enjoying yourself you have to leave early because you feel like you are going to pass out from low blood sugar.Then you talk to an old friend on the phone who has been having the same health problems as you, and you discover that over a year later she is still struggling with finding a solution - likely meaning that your problems aren't going to end anytime soon either. Then you sit on your couch and just think about how tired you are of everything.

Some days go like that.

Ok, my day went like that.

And sitting there on my couch feeling overwhelmed and crappy, I had the thought that I should ask for a blessing. It's really hard asking for a blessing - it shouldn't be, but it always feels a little scary and embarrassing. Luckily, I have really great friends who I know are ready and willing to serve when asked, and that made it a lot easier.
And my blessing was perfect. They didn't just bless me in my current situation, they seemed to bless my whole life. My blessing helped me understand better the purpose in my going through this: to teach me to apply the atonement in my life, to help me feel empathy for others, and to prepare me for future callings. It helped me understand the Savior's role as a healer as well as feel God's perfect love for me. He is aware of my situation and wants to help me through it. On top of that, my immediate symptoms disappeared and I felt better by the time the boys had left. 
I'm sure I would have survived if I hadn't of asked for a blessing last night, but that would have been a great opportunity lost. I am so grateful for the priesthood and for priesthood blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment