Monday, March 25, 2013

Lorraine's Farewell

4 years to the day that I opened my mission call for the Chile, Santiago East mission, I was able to go to the farewell of my dear friend and roommate Lorraine who is going to Paris, France. It was also her brother's farewell (he is going to Argentina) so that made it extra special/extra emotional for her parents. Haha. They both did a really great job on their talks. Evan was true to himself 100% - he talked about trees and applied them to the gospel. Different trees grow at different rates - some really fast like the Redwoods, some not so fast. People likewise grow in their testimonies at different rates. What's important is that we are growing and not lying dormant. He also ended his talk by sharing his testimony in the language he's spoken for the last two years: English. Lorraine talked about the ability for people to change. What I really liked about her talk was what she said about change being necessary for us to be better. In order for us to move up to the next great stage in our lives, the last one has to come to an end. She shared the story of her friend from Paris who stayed at her house over the summer and she ended sharing her testimony in French. Man, they both are going to be great missionaries.

I was really worried that I would cry during Lorraine's talk, but I didn't. Then a beautiful special musical number "I Believe in Christ" followed her up and there I lost it. Music always gets me. Looking at Becca only made it worse. It's not that I am sad that Lorraine is going on a mission. I am so excited for her because I know first hand that missions are the best! No, what really gets me is that Lorraine leaving marks the end of an era. The best college year of my life. Once Lorraine goes, our apartment will be missing an element and nothing will be quite the same as before. I will graduate, Becca will go to Peru, and Anna to New York City. What's next? I have no idea still! And the unknown is scary. I just keep trying to remember what Lorraine said: That change is necessary for better things to come into your life.






1 comment:

  1. One of the hard but consistent things in life is that things change. It is one thing you can count on. Loved all the cute photos

    ReplyDelete