Thursday, February 7, 2013

Walk a mile in a person's boot

Last night I had the opportunity of serving my roommate, Becca (aka: The Cripple). I'm not tooting my own horn because it wasn't my idea. She was plopped down in a chair that sucks you in with her feet elevated when she asked me if I could do something to for her. I thought it would be "help me up" or "get me a drink of water" or something equally reasonable like that, but it turned out that the favor she wanted was: "Stacy, will you please put on my boot?" It was the weirdest service I have ever done...well, actually that's not true, but this still is up there on the list of weird.

So I put on Becca's boot and tromped around the apartment in it, much to Becca's amusement. Man, it was surprising how tricky that boot is to walk in. It's so heavy and clunky and, obviously, it restricts movement. I had to try everything in it so I waddled (that's what happens when you try to run), I marched upstairs and down, I went down into the parking garage so I could experience walking up and down hill. I tried kneeling in it, sleeping in it, standing up in it, sitting with my legs crossed...pretty much everything. I now have a deeper understanding and appreciation of what exactly Becca is going through. You see, I was only dealing with the inconvenience of the boot; I didn't have the pain that comes with a broken/swollen foot along with it. Poor, Becca.

But you know what? I really respect her for having such a good attitude about this unexpected trial. She may not feel like she has been very positive, but she really has been. She has been able to laugh at herself and find the fun in her situation. Like letting me call her "my cripple", wearing colorful socks and naming her boot Joseph, calling me "mom" when I give her rides to school, totally taking advantage of the handicap parking, seeking answers to the question "What can I learn from this?" instead of asking "Why me?", and laughing at me as I try to do what she does in the boot every day. Yep, given everything, Becca is doing great.

And I mean, really, it was pretty hilarious how pathetic I was in that boot.




P.S. On a completely different note. I totally made blueberry-banana bread out of an unwanted frozen fruit smoothie yesterday and it tasted good! I think I deserved the Domestic Goddess award yesterday for that little miracle in the kitchen. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment